Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Minnesota Fishing Decoy Folk Art Gliding Frog FOR SALE

This guy is big, almost eleven inches.  He is carved from Minnesota white cedar that has been curing in my garage for 5 years.  The classic line tie is copper wire embedded in the lead weight so that it will not come out.  The teeth in the grinning open mouth are brass tacks.  This big frog was completed late last year and is signed "TJS ELY" on the bottom permanently by woodburning it into the body.

I spent quite a bit of time with the carved lips and the arms in relief on this guy. He was handpainted with base coats of white, yellow and orange, accented with a gold and blue rub.  I used green, red, gold and blue to give it an older finish, not really distressed, but aged.  Your eyes are drawn to the eyes of the frog because of their big blue size.  These are antique german teddy bear eyes that I acquired in mass quantities several years ago.  They are becoming somewhat of a trademark on some of my large decoys.  They really add personality and make the decoy unique, that is for sure.

PRICE ON THIS FISH DECOY IS $125.00 PLUS $5 FOR SHIPPING.  Contact me through the link to my website in the right column.  Posting email addresses and links on blogs don't play well with the robot spam thingy hack jobs that search the web trying to make life interesting for all of us.  I will accept paypal, just let me know and I'll send you an invoice.  Otherwise money order, personal check are fine.

This is a one of a kind creation.  Handcarved with a knife.  Handpainted with care.

Thanks for lOOking!  Tim

Frogger Fish Decoy Click for Larger Image

Close up of Eyes and Mouth

10 3/4 inches long

Cool, aged look

Belly of the Beast


It'll look great in your collection click for larger image

No comments:

Post a Comment